5 September 2016

Dear September, welcome!




It is the end of our long weekend, and we are all together at home - just the way we love it!  I get the feeling that this won't last, this wanting to be together, this being happy at home, this quieter, calmer existence.  A part of me recognizes that is the way of things, and the other part pull one or two onto my lap to savour this moment.  Now.  In the present.

(Actually, to tell you the truth, I can't pull them onto my lap.  They are all blissfully snoring away in their beds, giving D. and I have a moment of quiet calm before bed.)




Lest you think we spend all our time at home, apple picking was on our agenda this past weekend.  :)  My favourite occupation in September, by far.  Then again, I am an apple gal.  I think they are my favourite fruit.  I mean, I love fruit in general.  Sweet, juicy, and sometimes downright exotic!  But whatever affair fruit takes me on, I always seem to come back to apples.  And there's nothing better than picking your own bushel of apples right from the tree.  Sunshine, birds and breezes included free of charge.  :)

I made a tray of walnut baklava for the first time last week.  Yumm-y!  Perfect dessert for fall by the way!  Thank God we didn't keep it in the house.  I would be two sizes bigger, guaranteed!  I probably still ate too many.  Baklava does that to me.  I want to try a pistachio version next time.  I am already planning the next tray.  And if I get lucky, I will invite myself over to a friend's house to learn how to make the cashew baklava.  Oh baklava.  It would have been better if we'd never met!




So.  Tomorrow is the first day of school for the coming year.  Surprisingly, I have two who are now excited.  To be completely transparent, J was less than enthused this morning, but for some strange reason, by the end of the day she performed a 180 degree turn and was jumping up and down on her bed with excitement not too long ago.  And while I love that they love to be home, I do not relish dramatic scenes of parting.  So here's to hoping that excitement lasts long enough for a new routine to form.  



I am very much hoping we can keep some of the routines we formed during the summer.  Especially our morning/breakfast one.  Fingers crossed on that one.  I hate being rushed, and school days are rushed.  Boo.  

Hope you had a great weekend surrounded by your loved ones too!


2 comments:

  1. Hello there my friend. Apple picking is on our agenda this week, and I can't wait. Apple lover here too!

    Hope you guys are well. I so wanted to arrange a little meet up with you this summer, but alas it has passed and we didn't get a chance to do that. Maybe sometime this fall....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kim, I gave missed you and your space. Hope you are well and enjoying these last days of summer. I haven't lost hope that someday we will meet up together. xo

      Delete