18 February 2014

Tinkering



My babies are in bed, as I should be too, but instead I am tinkering away at another hat.  Tis the year of hats.  I am so happy though to have the desire, enthusiasm and energy to be making them.  After being pregnant and going through a bit of a funk, it is not something I take for granted anymore.  



We had a lovely weekend at the Dormition monastery.  I would love so much to bottle up the immense help and benefit we receive there to have  it at my disposal for those days... those gray , overcast days.  I'm sure I could live there.  I dream of living there!  Even my children hate leaving and beg to stay.  I see them enveloped in such spiritual warmth and wholesome activity that I am at peace.  They themselves are quieted inside and we all come back with a greater inner stillness.  



And as I look around me and take stock - the mountain of laundry that needs folding, the floors that need washing, the dishes that need washing - I come back to earth zealously with a purpose!  There are things that need doing, my friends!  And I am up for the job, though I work on a slow-and-steady-wins-the-race policy.  I actually enjoy being profitably busy without the stress of deadlines.  After all, we have managed, J and I, to finish dinner for tonight and Thursday!  There is creamy chicken and broccoli, and prime rib roast (still roasting in the oven) with potatoes and salad.  Thank God.  When meals are done, I am almost always stress-free.

Wishing you a stress-free week too!  




CREAMY CHICKEN & BROCCOLI BÉCHAMEL

This is my own improvised recipe and I think of it as a kind of blank slate, so feel free to tweak it according to your own tastes. 

4-5 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed
1 package frozen broccoli (I also use the broccoli + cauliflower mix)

BÉCHAMEL SAUCE:

3 Tbsp butter
1 3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup flour
salt and pepper, to taste
3 tsp dried sweet basil

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Melt butter in medium saucepan.  Add flour and whisk until smooth.  Cook for 2 minutes on medium heat whisking constantly.  Whisk in milk until smooth and cook on high, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens.  Remove from heat.  Add basil and salt and pepper to taste.  

Place chicken and broccoli in a large casserole dish.  Pour béchamel sauce overtop, toss to combine and cover casserole with aluminum foil.  Bake until chicken is cooked through.  


No comments:

Post a Comment