9 October 2013

On the cusp


I was wrong.  Autumn has not passed me by.  



I see tree tops dipped in gold, red and orange.  I see verdant and sometimes frosty green foliage laced with sprays of wildflowers lingering for a last farewell to summer.  I see  gorgeous sunrises revealing the little snails and slugs climbing the sides of our building.  I see abundant earthy root vegetables at the market.  I see the apples.  Lots of apples everywhere!  Mostly I see the colours at the cusp of change - slightly timid, not quite explosive yet.   




I've really dying to share this zucchini bread recipe.  It's become a kind of go-to recipe in my home.  And it's not too sweet - it walks a fine line between meal and dessert.  It's been our snack, dessert, and breakfast countless times.  I love it with a smear of butter.  Or honey.  I am sorry to say that I have no idea where the original recipe came from.  :o(  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!  




ZUCCHINI BREAD (dairy-free)

3 cups flour
1/2 cup oil
2 large zucchini, finely diced (or pureed)
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
1/3 - 1/2 cup water

Grease and flour two loaf pans.  Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.  Pour into pans and bake at 350 F for about 45 minutes or until done.  Let cool before serving or storing.  (Stores excellently for months in the freezer!)  Serve warm with fruit, butter, spreads or on its own.  

No comments:

Post a Comment