20 January 2013

A pop of colour!



The other day I was outside with my son playing.  More accurately he was shoveling snow and I was running laps around our cul-de-sac (I love the sound of that!) to test my ankle.  Let me tell you, there's something about the combination of exercise and fresh air that really stimulates ones cerebral lobes!  I came inside feeling the need to do something I haven't done in ages: draw.

So I drew.  

Actually, I sketched and then I coloured.  Because that tree sparrow needed a little pop of colour to warm him up on that wintry day.  

That's how I feel sometimes - in need of a proverbial pop of colour during drab times.  Drawing is like that pop for me.  And I am so happy to rediscover it each time.  I sincerely hope that as time passes I will be even more drawn into the world of creating, no matter what form it takes.  

Especially when it involves whipped cream and strawberries!  :o)



This is a simple recipe, similar to a previous one posted, which I modified from here.  It paints my world with vibrant colour.  There's something about scones too.  Homey, yet dignified with a touch of unaffected glamour.  ("Would you like scones with your tea?")  Let me wax a little poetic about why I like scones so much.  First off, they're easy to make vs formal pastry.  This is a definite must in a mom's arsenal.  Secondly, you can doll them up fancy like with cream and berries for company, or you can smear them with a little jam and butter and enjoy them solo.  Thirdly, they look great once set up no matter how bumpy, lumpy or uneven they come out of the oven.  

So yes, these darlings were simple enough to make.  Whip up the scones and while they're in the oven, wash and cut fresh strawberries and whip up the cream with a touch of sugar.  Putting them together at the end is the most fun of the whole process.  Enjoy!  


RUSTIC STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE SCONES

2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup salted butter
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cream

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Sift flour, sugar and baking powder together in a large bowl.  Cut up butter in small pieces and add to flour mixture.  Cut with a pastry cutter or two knives until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.  Whisk egg, vanilla and cream together in small bowl.  Add to flour mixture and mix just until dough starts to come together.

Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead about 4 times.  Roll into a seven inch round.  Cut 3 inch rounds with a round cookie cutter, or a glass cup.  Brush the tops with cream, place rounds on baking sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes until the tops are golden.  Let cool.

Serve with sandwiched with whipped cream and fresh strawberries.


No comments:

Post a Comment