13 August 2012

Fried & golden

My friends, I have found oatmeal!  It was a discovery for which I was unprepared.  The jar sort of jumped out at me in the supermarket.  Needless to say, I am still celebrating this treat!  The children partook of it at breakfast just yesterday, and I can now happily last for the next 4 months secure in the knowledge that one of my favourite foods is only a few dozen buildings away. 


Last Monday, following the morning Liturgy, we betook ourselves to a large garden belonging to D’s sister and her husband for an al fresco picnic.  It was a true feast for the senses!  The delicious breeze wafting through the fruit trees; the brushwood fire heating a skillet of frying fish; the cool tangy salad of cucumbers, tomatoes, mint, and other such leaves dressed with lemon, oil and pomegranate juice; the freshly dug potatoes, peeled, cut and french-fried; greasy fingers snitching tidbits from each platter as palate and circumstance afforded; the purple mountains rimming the valley nook wherein we feasted; the sun passing unvanquished through cloud and smoke.  I can keep going, but I think I’ve made my point.  It’s good to be alive on those kinds of days. 


Speaking of those kinds of days, yesterday I had the urge to make donuts.  It was a rather strong conviction that this particular delicacy needed to be introduced to the Lebanese people.  Well, at least to our family here.  J  As usual, my inspiration was last minute, so my camera wasn’t handy.  That and I was in a rush to finish them before we left to go a-visiting.  Too bad, because they looked ever so dainty and pretty sitting side by side on their serving plate.  L 

Anyhow, do try these vegan pretties.  They are perfect without being over the top.  Not too sweet, but sweet enough to hit the spot, they are a fall sweetmeat, right up there with apple pie and butternut squash.  Also, they're an easy gourmet idea for company.  I would have to say that these little darlings are my new obsession.  I was nervous making them for the first time, especially because I had no fixed vegan recipe. 


CINNAMON SUGAR DONUT DROPS (dairy-free)

2 ½ cups flour
½ cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 ½ - 2 cups water
2 tsp vanilla extract
Oil for deep frying

Cinnamon sugar coating
½ cup granulated sugar
½ tsp cinnamon

Mix dry ingredients.  Add vanilla, vinegar and water.  Mix well.  If needed, add more water until the mixture resembles a thick batter consistency.  Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.  Combine coating ingredients in a bowl and set aside.  Heat oil in a large pot until very hot.  Drop a small spoonful of batter into the oil and fry until rich golden brown.  Drain for a minute on paper then roll in cinnamon sugar.  Repeat until the batter is finished.  Serve warm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment