5 June 2012

Crunchy coleslaw



Moving day is fast approaching and so, naturally, we decided to take another quick roadtrip to Michigan and the Dormition monastery.  Naturally.  And naturally, I forgot several items including the camera.  Naturally.  So, you'll have to take my word for it sans evidence: it was a lovely trip that we're hoping to make again in the not-too-distant-future.  Icing on the cake?  We met up with our friends from last year again!  Hope that keeps happening!



So, as moving day draws ever-closer, I take stock of some very real changes in our home.  Boxes piling up?  Check.  Junk dwindling down?  Check.  Kitchen all packed up?  Umm.... no.

Ya right!

And what would happen, pray tell, if all my cooking and baking supplies, utensils and wares were, at this moment, sealed into boxes?  I'll tell you what would happen.  We'd be eating salads and sandwiches everyday for the next two weeks.  Nothing wrong with sandwiches, but three times a day for two weeks?  Be reasonable!



Salads on the other hand are fine by me.  Even if 3 times a day for the next two weeks they be served.  I guess I'm not the only one who is obsessed with salads.  (And for good reason!)  But I have a confession to make.  I have, quite suddenly, developed a crush on coleslaw.  So perhaps that's an inaccurate choice of words.  Crush implies a passing attraction.  I can't ever see myself losing interest in this cabbage dish!  Regardless of how you choose to say it, I'm crazy about it!  It's summer in a bowl.  The perfect sidekick to fish, chicken and beef.  A vibrant star at the table.  Stop me when you get tired, but I could go on for a while singing praises.

On my honour, I will never go back to boring old mayonnaise-coleslaw again!  And neither will you if you're brave enough to make this magical cabbage salad.  I didn't even realize that I was a fan of cabbage until last week!

CRUNCHY COLESLAW (vegan & gluten-free)

1/2 head of cabbage, shredded thinly
1 small carrot, julienned
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Mix cabbage and carrots together.  Drizzle lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil over the top.  Add sugar and salt to taste.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo! That sounds quite tasty! I think I'll have to try adding a few extras to this slaw...

    ReplyDelete