23 April 2012

Leftovers with style!



After a little nudge from a few well-wishers, I have decided to post a picture of my afgan-in-progress.  Someday it shall be an afgan.  Someday.  If you lack motivation yourself, I do recommend you visit Kristen and check out her recently-completed blanket.  She's quite a whiz with needles.  Needless to say, I'm sure you won't be back here for yarn advice...



In other news, our balcony garden had to be postponed due to a bout of teething.  I'm all for shouldering along, but some days... let me just say it takes a Herculean effort to make it through the day.  Let me just say the latter half of this past week has been a little rough.  So much for smooth sailing!




Something did go right for us last week though.  Oh yes.  Ever so nicely.  My take on taquitos in fact.  It went something like this: I was craving something cheesy (47 days of no dairy can do that to a person) but had quite a bit of chicken leftovers to use up.  Queue this pinterest photo and I was in business!  Except... I didn't have any tortillas lying around and I definitely wasn't going to drive out to the grocery store to buy some.  Enter pita bread.





I must say that these are to-die-for-delicious and not to mention easy-peesy.  Chopped spinach, shredded cheddar, green onions, and leftover chicken.  And baked instead of fried?  The health gurus would approve!

So, next time you have some leftover chicken that looks less than exciting, try these crispy, cheesy babies out and the world will make sense once again.

Disclaimer: This is a recipe for leftover chicken or any meat in fact!  If you're making chicken specifically to try this recipe out, I suggest baking your chicken in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper.  Once the chicken is done, shred it or cut it up into bite-sized chunks.  Also, my quantities are deliberately vague because it's all about your taste.  This is one recipe where you can throw away your spoons and embrace unscientific experimentation.  Just make sure you don't forget the cheese!  




CHEESY CHICKEN TAQUITOS

baked or leftover chicken, shredded (about 2-3 breasts' worth)
200g cheddar cheese, shredded or grated (feel free to up the cheese quotient!)
5-8 Tbsp tzatziki (I'm betting sour cream would work, but the garlic was magic...)
1 bunch spinach, washed and chopped
2-3 stalks green onions, chopped
about 3-4 loaves thin pita bread (white or whole wheat are nice, just don't use Greek pita)

Take each loaf of pita bread and separate it into two halves.  Spread 1 Tbsp (or more) or tzatziki in the middle.  Take shredded chicken pieces and line up along tzatziki trail.  Sprinkle spinach, onions and cheese on top.  Roll up into a tight sandwich and bake in the oven at 400 degrees F for about 10-12 minutes.  Serve hot.  Makes 6-8 sandwiches.


No comments:

Post a Comment